Friday, June 8, 2012
Negativity? Not in My Classroom!
I'm sure this applies elsewhere and not just in the ESL world....but what's with all the Debbie Downers trying to intimidate new teachers out of a truly fantastic experience? Over the past few weeks, especially as we get closer to Orientation, I have encountered people who have spent time teaching in South Korea. Some of them are lovely and energized, some have given up talking about their teaching experience, but are genuinely enjoying their time in Korea and others have been so horribly negative that I wonder why they were sent to Korea in the first place. Constructive comments are always appreciated, but I don't respond well to being told I can't achieve something. I have made a life career out of doing things people say I can't. A few things to remember:
1) Teaching will be unique for every single person.We all deal with our successes and failures differently, and some of us are positive and very resourceful.
2) One person's experience does not dictate everyone's. Just because someone told me they hated teaching, doesn't convince me I shouldn't do it. In fact, I see it as a challenge to succeed in areas where they were incapable.
3)Teachers around the 3/4 month mark, in a new country, will be more likely to feel homesick or focus on the negative things they experience.This is not inclusive of all teachers!
4) POSITIVITY goes a very, very, long way in the ESL world. This is true whether you've never taught or you've been teaching for 40 years. Heck, positivity goes a long way in life!
5) Life's an adventure! Why take everyone else's word for how you will feel when you arrive? Pave your own path, experience things outside of what people have told you and NEVER enter into a new country with a negative outlook. It will determine your experience there and predetermine your interactions with the people. After all, what would be the point of traveling if we knew everything about every culture that ever existed.
6) That being said, rose colored glasses may not be the best approach either, but accepting that all countries have faults and failures makes the experience more balanced and makes your expectations more realistic.
7) Set yourself up for success! I firmly believe every one of these. 6 Traits of Successful Teachers
8) Don't limit yourself.
9) Don't worry about the folks drinking Haterade! Let it slide off like silk, baby! :)
Labels:
ESL Teachers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Well said Maggie! Lists are always go a long way in helping clarify things for me as well. The positive people in our lives will far outshine the negative ones. But yes, coming in with crazy high and unrealistic expectations is not good either. Looking at situations with a balanced approach is always smart.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you will love it and your bubbly personality and beauty will win your students over. Have a brilliant time. x
ReplyDeleteThanks Alison, you're very kind! :) And Steph, I think the biggest part is just being positive about it. Who wants a teacher who believes their students won't learn?
ReplyDeleteWe have placed just on 1,000 new EFL teachers in South Korean public schools over the past 6 years and can confirm that candidates who fly to Korea with a completely open mind and no expectations whatsoever - besides that they are going to have a huge adventure & learn a great deal about themselves - always have an amazing time.
ReplyDeleteDon't expect it to be like home, rather let the similarities of your shared humanity (with Korean people) surprise you.
Don't expect the food to be the same as home - rather look at it as a quest to discover new cuisine & be pleasantly surprised what you end up enjoying and eventually missing a variety of dishes when you eventually return to your home country.
Don't treat this as a continuation of your college lifestyle (party, booze and missed lectures). At college you/your folks where paying for you to be on campus. Now the Korean tax payer is paying very dearly to host you and have you teach the next generation of Korean's - always be professional and ensure they get their money's worth.
Very well said BoYoungMam! Thanks! :)
ReplyDelete