![]() |
| Me and my nose have a complicated relationship |
Before I arrived in Seoul, I had heard about the plastic surgery "craze." I was one of those people who would personally never have surgery myself, but didn't mind if others did, who was I to say what they did with their bodies. I never really cared, until I met "Candy." I thought she was beautiful, her eyes sparkled and immediately put me at ease. Her nature was happy, her aura was positive and I couldn't understand why she would even consider having surgery done. We exchanged numbers and discussed a possible language partnership.
| straight on |
| profile |
| angle |
Within a day I had a response.
"Good morning Maggie,
Thank you for submitting your profile to _________ cosmetic surgery. We have reviewed your photos and requests and below you will find a list of suggestions from one of our top surgeons.
Beta hydroxy acid treatment
Dermabrasion
Hyperpigmentation treatment
Lipoplasty
Blepharoplasty
Consultation is 100% free and we would love to set up a time to further discuss the pricing/options for your surgery.
A better you is just around the corner"
After a quick phone consultation, I headed in for my free in-office meeting. I pepped myself up before walking into the office, telling myself that I was here to find out "what was wrong with me." This was just for a piece I wanted to write and I wouldn't take it heart. I am not entirely convinced that I truly believed that.
The doctor was incredibly handsome, but I didn't see a hint of cosmetic surgery on his surprisingly tanned and even face (maybe a testament to how good he is). He welcomed me in, offered me tea and water and quickly got down to business. He said my body was okay as is, my breasts were high and desirable and my body was curvy. He said liposuction would serve well to highlight my curves and remove the access fat that was keeping me from "reaching my full potential." He offered to put me in contact with their nutritionist. I told him I was happy with my size and inquired about the rest.He said my eye shape was beautiful but blepharoplasty or (under-eye surgery) would remove the "tired look" and the Beta, dermabrasion and hyper pigmentation treatments would overall give me a "fresh and young look." I asked what was wrong with my skin and he said it was remarkably clear and fairly even already, but a combination of these treatments would make my skin bright and "lighter" over all. There was the key word I was looking for, "lighter."
![]() ![]() |
| Blespharoplasty lines (under eye surgery) and a skin whitening treatment |
As I looked through the surgical books I saw shining examples of Western women, all white, all blonde and all natural. The guidebooks didn't contain any "exotic beauties" as the doctor liked to say, because the standard was that of a Western white person. He immediately began to backtrack saying I was a very exotic and beautiful woman and he wished more Korean women looked like me. I told him I had taken no offense and I thought Korean women should look exactly how they do now, beautiful & natural. He said he agreed that Asian women were beautiful on their own, but that cosmetic surgery would simply highlight that natural beauty. I laughed in his face. If eyelid surgery and a nose surgery are "highlighting" your look, then breast implants are merely wearing a push up bra. What bothered me the most was not the actual surgery, but rather his full admittance that the reason was to look more "white." I thanked him for his time and made my way out of the clinic. I was shaking. I'm not sure whether it was anger or confusion or maybe just a hint of disappointment with myself for momentarily questioning "what would make me beautiful?"
For a culture that is so proud of it's history and it's people, the irony is not lost on me. I have often heard "one blood, one people" or "Korean pride" and our "Korean women as the most beautiful in the world." I completely agree that Korean women are stunning, so why the surgery? Why the need to change your eyes and your nose? Dress it up anyway you like, call it an "improvement" but it is a distinct and very sad reminder that Korean culture is being highly white washed. Just this year there was a controversy about the miss Korea contestants. Does anyone see the issue with a group of women representing cultural beauty, through surgery that makes them practically culturally unidentifiable? If young girls are told that beauty comes from knife we are creating a hazard for our future women. It's all fine and well to say "whats on the inside is what counts" and "beauty is only skin deep" but we are very far from actually believing this as a culture. The truth is, as humans, we want to feel desired, we want to feel sexy and beautiful and unfortunately we are going to dangerous means to achieve that.
![]() |
| Miss Korea 2013 Contests: garnered attention for the extent of cosmetic surgery on each woman |
Yesterday, I read an article about a young woman in Korea who committed suicide, last August, shortly after having a jawline thinning surgery. This surgery left her unable to properly eat, cry, or feel when her own drool was running down her face. This dangerous surgery is used to correct dental deformities and is now being marketed as a "beautifying" technique. If you've ever been inside a subway station and seen the plastic surgery photos unabashedly posted with slogans like "new life" and "beauty is everything," you might start to understand the mindset. Actually, the second you set foot in Gangnam, Apgujeong or Sinsadong you will see just how much plastic surgery there is.Figures released by the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) state that 1 in 5 women in Seoul have undergone plastic surgery. 20 % between the ages of 19 to 49, have admitted to surgeries that make them appear more "Western."
![]() |
| Advert in Apgujeong Station |
I wasn't even going to write this entry, on the off chance that I might really offend someone. But just two days ago I bumped into Candy again, only this time I didn't recognize her. I was hurrying in the rain, getting lost in the crowd of the hundred other busy people, when I passed by a woman, no more remarkable than anyone else I had ever seen before. I would have missed her entirely had she not said "hey Malibu." She was a mere shadow of the exuberant, bright spirited woman I had met before. "I had surgery, do you like?" she asked. I didn't know what to say. She had expected a much bigger reaction from me and let a small frown pass her lips, but quickly perked back up. I saw some resemblance of my nose. She was a different woman, but she looked the same as every other woman I had ever seen, who had surgery in Korea. Her eyes still sparkled a bit which led me to believe she was happy, but I'm not sure that I believed it.






.jpg)
So proud of you for articulating your journeys to us all. On it's flip side as a black woman and part of a group that scientifically has been proven black women have the best self esteem towards themselves also dangerously can cause us to be any shape, not so desirable health risks, and our eating patterns yet still look in the mirror and reflect that this is still mother natures best yet to come. Its hard to watch young bi racial women raised by white women and take on their mothers insecurities. Females learn self love thru their mothers and if mothers of non black heritage keep it up there will be bitter women everywhere. Thank you again for exposing this radical way of living and thinking.
ReplyDelete"mothers of non-black heritage" is a bit problematic. Again, it's a large generalization. I know plenty of biracial children, raised by black mothers who suffer similar self esteem issues as women who identify as exclusively black, particularly in regards to the shade of their skin tone (still very common among black woman). If women (in general) cannot promote self love, we will have many issues passed down to our daughters. Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond. Much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteit's not very black,' or 'it's not very white.' I got used to my nose being the defining feature that made me feel like "the other." So to hear someone say "I want that nose" really took me by surprise. cosmetic procedure
ReplyDeleteProfessionals of Face Forward Agency take keen interests in collecting funds from layers, doctors etc for social welfare.
ReplyDeletefaceforwardla
faceforwardla.org
Awesome entry, I've always wondered why a white standard of beauty is what they are trying to achieve. You can tell with all the face products containing whitening that it isn't acceptable to have any color. You are a strong woman to have gone through that consultation, I don't think I could have. I think all women from every race are beautiful. I happen to think bi-racial and multi-racial children are some of the most beautiful out there. We are all different and that is what makes us beautiful. Sometimes it is hard to accept and realize we are beautiful in our own way because of what society tells us, but we are. I teach middle school too and I know some of the girls already had eye surgery and many more want to diet and get surgery to be beautiful. It breaks my heart because at their age I too didn't like the way I looked, I never would turn to surgery, but not loving you for who you are...happens to devour your soul while you live life. Thank you for sharing your experience, it was a very interesting read. You are a beautiful woman inside and out. :)
ReplyDeleteIt is true that most of celebrities are looking voguish with the help of plastic surgery and Maggie Moo is one of them. You have unmasked her beauty secret. Thanks for sharing this story.
ReplyDeletenice blog
ReplyDeleteyou can improve your look by cosmetic surgery, nose surgery and plastic surgery in lucknow
Hi, what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on various subjects. And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and yes you got it. This is really informative and I will for sure refer my friends the same. Thanks… beauty surgery
ReplyDeleteHello dear, I like your blog. I think its a new search in Aesthetic world. Now most of the peoples wants to maintain a luxurious life with beautiful figure. So day bu day facial cosmetic surgery is increasing its popularity in between modern people. Thanks for sharing it.
ReplyDelete