Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First Day at School



Today was my first full day in the middle school, although I don't begin teaching until September 10th. Instead, I will be lesson planning and sitting in on a few classes. Walking through the hallways was a very different experience. Students saw me and stared, some giggled, other bowed and said hello and  a few even practiced their English. My favorite was "you look like Beyonce" hahah! I met the rest of the staff and they all seemed quite nice, although I am quickly realizing I really need to learn Korean beyond the few words that I know. Most of my conversations consist of me smiling and my co-teacher translating. Meeting the principal was quite scary at first. He called me and my co-teacher into the office and asked us to sit down. He looked at me and spoke in Korean as my co-teacher laughed and repeated it back to me. Apparently he loves baseball and he wanted to know which team was my favorite. I quickly replied.."uh, the Brewers" he smiled, clapped and said "ah, yes Milwaukee, very good" We will get along well." He said his dream was to go to Penn Park and asked me about "the great Bambino." I must say my baseball knowledge leaves something to be desired. Perhaps the funniest aspect of the meeting was the fact that even when he used the few words he knew in English, like "welcome" and "very good" my co-teacher made sure to repeat them right after he had said them. I was quite happy with the way the meeting went.

After school I was invited to a "staff meeting," which turned out to be dinner at a restaurant. It was "Korean Bacon" and it was delicious, despite the fact that I am terrible with chop sticks. Everyone, and I literally mean everyone, waited for me to take a bite. Do you know how awkward it is to eat a big, huge greasy piece of bacon, with chopsticks you barely know how to use in front of 25 people? Some of them even moved their mouths are a sort of instruction for how I should chew.I struggled a bit and finally speared the bacon and awkwardly tossed it in my mouth, throwing my fists in the air! Victorious and it was delicious. Everyone nodded and clapped and then began ordering drinks. My principal staggered to the front and began to make a speech. This is how it sounded to me "jsdjajoiorir Maggie Smith-Su jsjojpojorjorje Rugby oiorioiroriqwri African oprjqorjirqirq Irish poqiwejwe Maggie Smith- Harry Potter ikowierei Oh yes kqweieiepopeo Welcome jqwejwejowej Soju. So really, I believe I understood all of the key points :) The speech took about a minute and a half and I just stood there with a big awkward grin plastered on my face, nodding at each person who made eye contact.



Next my principal came over and said "beer, you like?" I nodded, maybe a bit too eagerly and he smiled. He handed me a glass and poured my beer, then he asked me to pour his. I remembered something about pouring with two hands and I was grateful not to have spilled all over him. He said "Cheers to our middle school" and downed it in one. If I ever need an international drinking team partner, I would totally ask my principal to take the job. He then placed a bottle of soju in the middle of the table and gingerly danced away.

No comments:

Post a Comment