Going out in Seoul isn't so much different than going out in the U.S. Excect here, since most people don't have phones yet, we will meet up outside of a subway exit (as opposed to someones flat/apartment), go to a 7/11 and do some pre-gaming on the way to the bars. It is strange to be able to drink on the streets again, after leaving Scotland over 8 months ago. Our poison of choice is almost always Soju, Cass or Makgeolli (Korean rice wine). Last weekend we went out with some of our coordinators from Epik and to say it was a shit show would be an understatement. We went out in Hongdae to a club called S Club (I kept thinking of S Club 7 the TV show). Here are a few observations.
1. There are military men everywhere you go, eager to flash their money and drag their knuckles on the ground in some sort of primitive attempt at mating.
2. Koreans love Hip Hop and love learning new dances. On multiple occasions I had women come up to me and ask "Show me how you dance like Beyonce." A Funny request, but a welcome challenge.
3.They don't buy shots, they buy bottles. More than once I had a lovely Korean man direct me over to their table, open a bottle of Jack Daniels or Absolut and pour me a drink. Sharing seems to be a big part of the culture.
4.Korean people just don't seem to sweat! I was dancing like it was going out of style and I swear I was sweating buckets. To the left and the right of me there were Koreans doing the humpty hump, soulja boy, Gangnam style and any other combination of dances and none of them were sweating! At one point I was happy to see a tiny bead of sweat roll down my dance partners face!
5. The Dj's in Seoul are simply the best! It is an amazing blend of Western music with K-pop influence and loads of house and dubstep, done properly! It is some of the most creative DJing I have ever heard.
6.There are always a few who can't handle their liquor...or should I say soju! Case and point below:
I look forward to many more Soju nights to come! Hopefully I will never be this guy!


lololol. i swear it's that BB Cream they wear! I need to get myself a tube of that stuff before the next big outing.
ReplyDelete